Monday, February 11, 2008

Wild Weekend!!!

So this weekend got off to an interesting start with my move to the "Plan." Plan Tres Mil is a neighborhood that was started as a housing project for 3000 families who were displaced by flooding. Over the years it has become one of the only locations with affordable housing in Santa Cruz and so it has kept growing, but at a rate that has exceeded the infrastructural development.

As such, the "roads" to the Plan are more like a muddy maze littered with huge car-sized potholes that fill with water when it rains, making the roads impassible. This was the situation I encountered last evening after spending a relaxing day at a friend's house in the country. Once we had navegated through the maze, we discovered the road to my house was flooded and I was stranded! Fortunately I was able to stay at my friend's house for the night and today I will hopefully be able to reach my house.

Here are some interesting details about the Plan so you all can have a better idea of what it's like (and I will try to post pictures asap!)


The Plan is about a half an hour from the center, which means a 30-45 minute ride in the micro and even though it's still in the city it feels like living in the campo! There are dogs, chickens and horses that roam the dirt trails, leaving behind their evidence. A couple of small tiendas have set up shop in the Plan, but no internet cafes or other indications that the outside world even exists. We have one neighbor with a boisterous bunch of dogs and cats.

I am living with a delightful woman, her daughter and a little puppy named Nano. In our free time we watch novelas together (yay!!!) many of which are mexican so I'm feeling right at home! We do have running water, although it's not warm, but since it is typically hot here a cold shower is pretty refreshing!

It feels like I've been here a long time already and I'm starting to feel more comfortable. I'm looking forward to getting to know the details of my position and finding a fixed place to live and a community to settle into...Who knows what adventures the rest of the week will bring!

PS: It's amazing have a slight sunburn in February!!! (HaHa to those of you suffering in cold Ohio :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a harsh last sentence Laura...harsh

Laura Ann said...

oh guero, i know. i know. i saw it was 6 degrees in ohio yesterday... so sorry for you. today it's a balmy 75 and sunny with no humidity - can you say perfecto??

Sipsem said...

leaving behind their evidence....hahahahahaahhaaa!!!