Thursday, February 7, 2008

Blessed boredom

Revived from a good day's rest and a relaxing twilight hymnsing (yay for Be thou my vision!!), I felt ready for today's jaunt through the market and lesson on riding the micro (Bolivian for really small bus - so small my head nearly touches the ceiling :).

At the market we purchased a small local fruit called achachairĂº, which has a shell that peals off and inside is a delightful cotton-candy textured flesh, with a flavor that can only be described as uniquely pleasant. However, my textual senses were not nearly as delighted at lunch time when I tasted my first ever grilled egg plant (my skin is still crawling from the sliminess...). Fortunately, the rest of my lunch was quite good.

I learned several amusing things (in addition to a lot of really useful information) from my orientation outing this morning: treasure is best buried in your bra; skirts on a windy day are not the best idea; sunshine one second does not mean it won't rain the next; and if you smell a strange pee-like odor cross the street.

This afternoon I have a session on Bolivian politics. Meanwhile I hope to use my siesta time boredom to amuse you all with some photos from my backyard :)

3 comments:

Aunt Jane said...

Hi, I love your blog! It will be great to experience this with you. How exciting. Thank you for doing it.I forwarded it to Todd & Kelly. Did you pack the right stuff? How are the shoes. God blessed me with a new job, with great Christians. May you be blessed even more! You go in Christ girl. Love you lots and lots.
Aunt Jane

Laura Ann said...

The shoes are great! I think I packed the right stuff for the most part :) Glad you passed it on to Kelly. I posted my blog address on my facebook and sent the link to my hotmail contacts, but it seems I'm always missing someone so feel free to keep passing it on. Take care!

Manda said...

I love the first picture of you, so gorgeous!! So it seems that you are getting oriented,and I know you will do fine. Keep updating this I love it. I am so very proud of you.

much love,
your forever roomate