Wednesday, February 13, 2008

One Week Down....

After a week in Santa Cruz it feels like I have learned a lot, but it's rather overwhelming to think about how much more I have to learn. And then I remember I have 3 years to learn it :)

I have come to rather enjoy my daily commutes in the micro from the Plan to the office. The micro has its own rhythm and you have to learn to move with it, to embrace the sway of the people, the ruts in the road and the way the bus adjusts to them. You have to adjust too or the ride isn't so pleasant.

For me the micro is an adventure - a cultural rollacoaster ride that, with every up and down in the road, gives me another glimpse into the reality of the people whose space I am sharing. But I wonder how different my attitude would be if I hadn't chosen to come here - riding the micro is a choice for me - I am not among the marginalized who are left with no other option but to ride the over-crowded, small, often dirty and sometimes dangerous micros. It is easy to be positive about something when you know it isn't permanent and when it's different. But if it were a reality I hadn't chosen, a monotonous chore, would I still see it as an adventure?

It's interesting to observe and participate in the "code" of the micros. Any passenger can ask the driver to stop at any given time. There are no set stops, which is undoubtedly an inconvenience for the driver, but great for passengers and people by the side of the road. Although pick-pocketing is a concern, in general people are kind to eachother. Women, pregnant or with children, get first choice of the precious few seats available, along with the elderly. Often bus drivers have to wait for elderly patrons to get on and off the bus, which can be dangerous if people at the back of the bus don't see them and begin to push.

Seeing anything in a micro can be a challenge. Especially if you are taller than 5', which I am. Today I actually rode in a micro that was so short my head rubbed the ceiling! The trick is to duck down so you can see out of the window, but when the micro is full that too can be a challenge. Fortunately, next to my house there is a bright pink and purple tienda that helps me know when to get off as long as I can see it!

I am hoping to begin with my actual job position soon and am very excited about the direction MCC Bolivia is hoping to take. Stay tuned for more details as I get into the thick of my assignment here. I have rambled on long enough and so I leave you with a slew of new pictures. The sketchy fruit has a name, but I don't know what it is! I can tell you that it is surprisingly tasty despite it's rather disgusting appearance :)

No comments: