Friday, March 21, 2008

Trip to Concepción

On Tuesday evening my coworkers, Anita (also my roommate) and Sandra, and I headed for the town of Concepción, a mere 6 hour bus ride from Santa Cruz. The trip got off to a late start since the bus driver did not show up on time, and then the bus broke down about a half hour into it so we had to wait for another one to come. Thankfully it broke down relatively close to the city or we would have been stranded in the middle of nowhere. Finally back on the road (now 9:30 at night), we were making good progress until a disorderly patron stole a woman's seat and refused to remove himself so the driver stopped the bus and proceeded to inform the drunken man that he would not move an inch unless the man removed himself from the woman's seat, which he was quick to do.

Without more interruptions, we made good time and arrived in Concepción at 2:30 am and were sound asleep by 3 and up again by 7. Our day was full of meetings, and with only one cup of coffee to save my life, I managed to fall asleep in all of them (anyone who was in Intro to Social Work with me can attest to my ability to sleep in public places).

Despite being exhausted, it was a productive day for the three of us. Anita and Sandra work with MCC's library program and were there to meet with the local school board and the library workers. I was there to scope out the town and make connections with local members of the community who will be hosting an MCC SALTer in the fall who will be working at the library.

Concepción is a charming little town with red dirt roads that contrast with the blue blue sky. The climate is pleasantly hot, but dry and the landscape is a collage of palm trees and other tropical plants and flowers that give it a feel of paradise. The town is very well kept and clean with very few cars - motos and bikes and walking are the primary sources of transportation.

This little town is home to one of the first Jesuit missions in the area and the once forgotten cathedral has been restored and boasts beautiful chiquitanía craftsmanship. In addition, talented local artisans abound, selling hand made woven bags and clothing and just off the main square is a delightful ice cream shop with the best coconut ice cream around. Adding yet further to its charm is the pleasant aroma of fallen leaves from the large trees on the square and the scent of burning wood used for cooking.

Our last evening in Concepción we enjoyed a meal with one of the school board members who was kind enough to open her home to us. Supper was Masaco - a real good dish made with ripe plantain that have been fried and mashed and then mixed with cheese. Not only was our host family kind to us, but the towns folk in general were very welcoming - it wasn't uncommon for strangers to wave or offer a "buen día." The welcoming, clean, small town atmosphere was a refreshing change from the city.

Next week I may be going to Moro Moro where MCC has its rural programs. I hear they have tons of burros (donkeys) so I'm hoping to indulge (even if only vicariously) my liking for those adorable long-eared creatures - someday I will have my own donkey (of the four-legged variety) and I think I'm going to name him Harold :)

1 comment:

Merideth said...

I forgot that you wanted a donkey Laura. There are lots here and I like to analyze their "braying." I heard the highest donkey bray ever the other day. Mabye Harold will have a lower voice.