Monday, March 10, 2008

God's Sense of Humor

Sometimes I think God has a rather cruel sense of humor or maybe the creator just wants to let me feel the consequences of my well-intentioned, but often short-sighted decisions. Perhaps God gets a kick out of letting me stick the butter knife in the light socket... I'm not really sure, but whatever the case there is a lesson to be learned. A religion professor of mine at Bluffton, J Denny Weaver, used to say that God isn't the author of the bad things that happen in the world - God is our sustenance through them. God doesn't make my decisions for me, but God will help me get through them. I'm not sure how this is going to turn out, but I know I have already learned a lot - about who I am - about what I want to get my master's degree in - about my strengths and my weaknesses. In the last 5 weeks I have read 5 books and 3 manuals - 3 in Spanish and 5 in English. If nothing else, not having a TV is making me a more intelligent person. So I'm reading 3 books at one time and tackling my virtual life list of "must read" books... Today I celebrate God's sense of humor.

3 comments:

M Horst said...

way to go. What a good attitude.
Martha

adventure4god said...

God does have a sence of humor. I was told that the best way to make God Laugh is to tell him your plans. I will continue to pray that God will provide everything that you need and that He will grant you enough of an insight into his view that you can laugh at the bad times in life even when you are the one living them.

John Michaels

Merideth said...

8 books? Which ones are they? And...what do you want to get your masters degree in?
Hang in there Laura...
I read a quote recently that went like this:
No matter how long the night, the dawn will break.
Keep laughing....